New suit, freshly pressed shirt, shined shoes … the only way to ruin this outfit is with a poorly tied knot. Even the best dressed men are only as good as their tie knot. If you don’t want to look like a dud, try this easy, step-by-step guide to tying The Half-Windsor.
- Begin with the wide end on your right and the small end on your left
- Move the wide end to the left over the small end
- Then move the wide end under the small end to the right
- Move the wide end through the main neck loop you’ve created and toward the left
- Move the wide end across the front and to the right
- Next, move the wide end through the neck loop from underneath and back down through the knot
- Tighten it up by pulling on the wide end—slide up the knot and wah-la!
If you’re more of a visual learner, check out this step-by-step video!